Midnight Ink - Book Club Questions
Penhale Wood Discussion Questions
- Iris and Nick Flynn lived an unconventional life. What did Iris mean by this statement: "The world is too small for him?" And why did she allow him to pull their family into the life they led?
- Rob McIntyre had difficulty coping after losing his girlfriend, Alison. Do you think he was really in love with her, or were there underlying reasons for his feelings of loss?
- Can you identify with Iris's inability to move on with her life unless she can help find Sophie's killer? Do you believe that men grieve differently than women?
- Joe Ellers was mentally challenged and his disability was used against him in an attempt to frame him for Sophie's murder. Can you imagine how that could happen in real life?
- What were your thoughts on the "story within the story" about the couple with marital problems, Keith and Laura? What motivated Alison to write it? Have you seen that literary device used in other novels?
- How did the psychic play a role in finding the killer? Would Rob have found the killer on his own?
- Did you learn anything new about England from this novel?
- How does Iris's relationship with her mother influence the course of her life?
- Sarah was reliable; her sister Iris was the rebel. How did a reconciliation take place between these very different women?
- Will Rob's guilt at Alison's fate ultimately keep him from moving on with his own life?
- What was the overarching theme of Penhale Wood?